You'll need: Paper, scissors, a circular object for a template, a ruler, pencil, needle, thread, rubber band, and glue.
1. Cut out ten paper circles, using a jar lid or CD for a template. (My circles are 5" in diameter. I stacked sheets of computer paper and cut out several circles at once.)
2. In each circle, cut eight evenly spaced slits toward the middle, stopping about a half inch from the center point.
3. With a pointed pen or sharp pencil, curl each tab into a cone and secure with a dot of glue. If you can pull off a tightly rolled perfect point, congratulations. I was running a little low on patience and settled for "sort of pointy," which I think also looks nice.
4. Cut two small pieces from a wide rubber band. These will hold the ornament together at each end.
5. Thread a needle and knot the ends of the thread together. String on one of the rubber band pieces.
6. Push the needle through the centers of five stars with their flat sides face down. Turn over the remaining five stars so their flat sides are facing up and thread them on, followed by the second rubber band piece.
7. With a chopstick or pencil, push down on the rubber band to compress the stars into a ball while pulling upward on the string with your other hand. The rubber should hold the stack together without requiring a knot. Adjust the paper cones as needed to make a pleasing shape.
8. Tie a loop in the thread for hanging if desired.
You have read this article christmas / paper / tutorials with the title DIY modern paper ornament. You can bookmark this page URL http://jenkrebs.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-modern-paper-ornament.html. Thanks!